Search Site

Pain and Suffering Compensation for Accident Victims

If you are involved in an auto accident in New Jersey or Pennsylvania – or suffering other forms of personal injury caused by the negligence or misconduct of another person– you can file suit for pain and suffering. Also known as non-economic damages, these are meant to compensate accident victims for less tangible results of an accident or personal injury.

Pain and suffering claims typically include the following:

  • Physical and emotional pain
  • Suffering
  • Disfigurement
  • Mental anguish
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of society, companionship and consortium
  • Loss of enjoyment of normal activities, as well as other pleasures and benefits of life
  • Loss of mental or physical health, well-being or bodily functions

Victims may file for pain and suffering in addition to compensatory (economic) damages. Compensatory damages provide reimbursement for expenses incurred as a result of an accident/injury, such as medical bills, surgery, and rehabilitation costs.  Compensatory damages also provide reimbursement for lost wages and other income lost as the result of an accident.

Unlike some states, Pennsylvania and New Jersey have no caps on compensation for pain and suffering. A jury decides the amount to be awarded in these cases.

Contact our experienced partners, Christopher Fleming or Heidi Anderson in our Philadelphia office at (215) 567-1530. For an accident in New Jersey, call (856) 273-6679 and ask for Greg Sciolla.

Our Attorneys
Contact us

Quick Contact Form